Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Swimming Star

 source photo

The earliest memory I have of old movies is when I was around 4 years old.  My Great Grandmother drove her big yellow car (from the late 60's) over to watch me for the afternoon.  She turned on the tv and there it was....a beautiful old technicolor movie.  I didn't know it at the time but it was an Esther Williams movie.  Esther Williams was a swimmer...a glamorous swimmer! I guess you could call them musicals, but instead of big dancing numbers...they had big swimming numbers! I relate more to these because I grew up swimming my summers away...I was not exactly little miss dancer (side note: I did do ballet and tap when I was 6 years old, we had a recital and then after our "number" all the lights suddenly turned off and there were 12 screaming 6 year olds around me...I never went back) They are great films...I hope to see more someday! But for now I will say the Million Dollar Mermaid is wonderful, if you ever catch it on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I love all of these old movies you keep bringing up. I haven't seen this one but definitely would watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like one I would really like! I grew up swimming too.. but not real swimming, more just playing in the water all the time. ..I still do any chance I get. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the welcome back wishes Meg! Hope your hubby is still on the road to recovery. How are YOU recovering (mentally, emotionally)? I know an experience like that can be incredibly draining! Been through a few myself w/ the hubs over the years. Both involving chainsaws. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete